Friday, March 4, 2011

Simple Onion Soup - and by simple, I mean really good

Dear studious kitchen cooks,

My brother got my husband and I a webcam for Christmas.  This is a great toy ... our computer is also our TV screen, which is mounted on the wall, so we have a nice view of the kitchen and living area from the webcam!

Mr H took a video of me making breakfast and then eating it with him and my friend - can you cook this fast!? Can you eat this fast without choking?!  Ed. Note: As I recall, we has waffles with hot strawberries and apple syrup, and steamed milk.  Everything was homemade, of course! 


Speaking of Speedy Gonzalez ... The other day I made a quick lunch for my cousin and I while we were working on her college application paper.  The recipe is fast, delicious, and (especially if you buy your onions in bulk, as I do) incredibly cheap!

I procured the recipe from one of my favorite kitchen classics - Twelve Months of Monastery Soups.  Of course, this recipe is from the month of March.  I appreciate a book that uses seasonal ingredients!

Basic Onion Soup (you may recognize it as French Onion Soup)

6 onions (I used 5 yellow, 1 purple)
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 cups water or stock
4 bouillon cubes (if stock is not used)
Salt & pepper to taste

Optional:
6 slices toasted bread
grated Gruyère cheese

1. Thinly slice onion.  Pour oil into soup pot and cook onions slowly until they turn brown, stirring frequently or constantly.
2. Add bouillon cubes and crush with spoon; add water.  Bring water to a boil, then boil for 5 minutes.  Turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add salt and pepper if desired and stir well.

Optional garnishment:
3. Pour soup into oven-safe bowls.  Add slice of toasted bread on top, cover top of bowls with grated cheese, and bake at 350F for 5 - 10 minutes.  Serve when cheese begins to bubble.
I served the soup with biscuits on the side, and shredded cheddar on top.  If you want to go gluten-free, of course leave out the bread.  If you want to go vegan, leave off the cheese!

Delicious, hot, and very low-tech.  An easy mid-day lunch or evening pre-dinner course!

Toasting to that,

Mrs H
twitter.com/_mrs_h

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails