Saturday, February 2, 2013

Love Those Board Games: How to Store Efficiently

Dear neat little pins,

I love things to be pared down, cut down, trimmed down, leaned out.  I love efficiency.  In my first life, I worked in the aerospace industry on projects leaning out production facilities, improving processes and quality.  I like to save time, space, energy, and money, and I am constantly on the lookout for ways to make life better!

Sometimes, a good idea just slaps me upside the head ... and I wonder why I never thought of it before?

I've been clearing house and consolidating in a hard-core effort to get rid of Stuff, and I was tackling the shelves in our spare room.  The board games take up so much space, and I got to thinking about all the wasted space in those boxes.  This is the solution we came up with!

The Master Solution:  Each game goes in it's own one-gallon bag (you could use two-gallon Ziplocks if you wished), and if the board doesn't fit in the bag I noted on the bag: Board separate.  The boards, being emblazoned with the name of the game, needed no further labeling although somebody with thousands of games could number them and sort accordingly.

You can get as fancy as you like with trimming pictures or descriptions from the boxes and slipping them into the bags, front and back, to show which game is which.  Some games took two bags, in which case I noted "1 of 2" and "2 of 2" on the bags, respectively.

All the game bags were neatly placed in a small Rubbermaid container, and the boards set on top.  Suddenly, hundreds of acres of shelf space miraculously cleared up, and I didn't have to get rid of all our favorite games!!


Teeny tiny box where once sat dozens of huge bulky boxes ...

Hmm this mysteriously dark picture is so ... low quality!!
I did get rid of all this, though.


Ah, dead weight, gone; I love the feeling.  Love the purge.  Such a relief!  This also works great with jigsaw puzzles (just cut the image off the front, and tape or staple the bag to the back, if it's too large), homeschool kits or educational packs that come in nice big, colorful boxes with loads of cubic inches being wasted!

Losing weight,

Mrs H

tweet us @_mrs_h for chewy nuggets
Pin us at Pinterest for pretty photos and intriguing articles
Follow us on Facebook for recipes, giveaways, and brilliant flashes of perspiration!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails