Saturday, October 30, 2010

Drying & Storing Herbs

To my flavorful friends,

I don't have a lot of freezer space, so I have to dry or can a lot of my food for the year.  Drying isn't the optimal way of storing herbs; but it's certainly better than nothing!

It's starting to freeze here at nights.  I picked a lot of my basil ...

this picture is from the old place :D

I dried it ...


ground it up ....


Dried some bay leaves and sage from my cousin's garden ...



Stuffed it all in jars ...



Dried onion rings ...



Ground them up ...


Froze them in sealed baggies ....


 - I just crack one open and put it in a pint jar every so often ...


... And that's about the extent of my herb drying this year.  Tomorrow I am off to market to market to stock up on squash - I guess I'd better buy some garlic, too.

We bought 100 lbs of yellow onions, and they are all layered in newspapers and in boxes under a quilt.  They should last the two of us until mid-winter at least.  We never seem to have enough onions around here!   How do you store your onions?  Do you dry your herbs, or freeze them in ice cubes?  Do you grow all your own herbs?  Does anybody window-box their herbs, or keep broccoli sprouts? - I am curious to start doing that!

Happy Herbing!


Mrs H
tweet us @_mrs_h
Follow us on Facebook!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails