Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce

Dear friends,

never say never!  or in my case, never say, "I'm finished canning." 

The farmer from whom I purchase much of my produce had a buyer for a large order of organic beefsteak tomatoes back out at the last minute, so my mom bought a bunch.  We brought them to my place for processing.  

Spaghetti sauce is really easy; it's best to use roma tomatoes, or a meaty tomato; but we had cheap beefsteak tomatoes and my mom needed spaghetti sauce, so that's what happened! 

I had a cute helper wash and sort tomatoes. 


My sister blanched, shocked, and peeled the tomatoes.  Core the tomato; cut an x or a slash on the bottom (for easier peeling).  Immerse in boiling water for 2 minutes; remove and plunge into cool water or ice-water.  Peel with ease! 


Finely blend the peeled tomatoes, and pour into containers (if the containers are see-through, that's even better).  Let sit overnight (a tip I learned from the Home Joys blog) so the water will separate from the meat.  


The next morning, I scooped the tomato meat out of the containers, and left the water in the bottom.   For a few containers, I used a turkey baster to suck the water out of the bottom as I did earlier in the year (this method is slow.  I don't recommend it.  Just use a measuring cup to scoop the blended tomato off the top!) I let this cook down for several hours while preparing everything else for the sauce.  

We got to work chopping onions, carrots, peppers, celery, and garlic (to taste - NO idea the measurements we used).  I cooked this in a stockpot for a few minutes. 


Mom's Cuisinart food processor sped the process up by about a million percent. 


Karissa loves to peel onions.  Mom blended up a bunch for me to freeze in baggies, too; this makes cooking easier on busy days!  She also shredded a bunch of carrots, which I measured out into recipe-size bags and froze, for making carrot-cake.  


 Karissa practiced her pull-ups, using a little cheating to climb up the sides of the door-jamb ... I don't think they'll let Mr H get away with that in boot camp! 


We mixed in oregano, basil, bay leaves, pepper, salt, brown sugar, and lemon juice.  Again, I have no idea the quantities we used - we just kept sampling and sprinkling! 




We filled quart jars, leaving 1" headspace, and processed in a pressure canner for 25 minutes, at 10 lbs pressure.  


My house smells like a spaghetti factory now!  It's quite delicious.  
saucily, 


Mrs H
tweet us @_mrs_h
Follow us on Facebook!


  

1 comment:

  1. @Home Joys, the last pic is a nod at your canned goods photos!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails