Sunday, December 12, 2010

Go big or go home! Or not?

Dear people,

Maybe I want to go home!

When I first got my ears pierced, shortly before my wedding, I said, "If I'm going to wear earrings, they better be good ones!"  So I enjoy my chandelier earrings and hoops and flat, light discs.  People sometimes say, Wow those sure are big earrings!  And I tell them my theory, that I might as well go big or go home!


That's how I usually face things in life.  Unfortunately, I have to undo that mentality sometimes when it comes to housework.  The other day I was standing in the bathroom and I noticed splatters on the mirror above the sink.  I need to wipe that mirror down!  With this thought, I gave the mouse of childhood stories the proverbial cookie (ironically, one of my all-time favorite books).  The counter needs to be washed too ... better scrub the sink, looks like it's getting dirty ... Need to scrub that faucet, better wipe the toilet, in that case I'd better scrub the bowl out first ... Need to sweep, that means I should mop, might as well wash the bathmat while I'm at it ... Gotta spray down the bathtub, too, then.  Is that lightbulb dead?  I only had a few minutes, and scrubbing the entire bathroom would take a while, so I decided I'd have to come back to it.  Go big or go home!


The mirror didn't get wiped for a long time.  I came to the realization that I just have to drop that motto as far as housework goes, or else afraid I'd never get anything done, for fear of not getting "everything" done!  I need to just wipe down the mirror, and as time allows I'll return and slay the other dragons.


You aren't allowed to take souvenir pebbles from the pyramids in Egypt any more.  In the olden days, you could just chip off a memento and take it home to display.  This tradition led to severe damaging of the pyramids, however, as crumb by crumb the colossal monoliths were pocketed by tourists and spread to the four corners of the earth.  However, in a happier application of this principle, housework can be dispensed with in the same manner.  Maybe it won't all be done at the same time all the time, but at least the snarling pack will be kept at a dull roar, the dragons crippled enough to keep them at bay for another night.

I still do things passionately, thoroughly, and completely - but I don't let the fact that I can't do everything at once keep me from doing anything at all!

Dreaming of a white Christmas,


Mrs H
tweet us @_mrs_h
Follow us on Facebook!


Chocolate Dreams 
A quick, easy recipe for when you don't feel like going to all the effort of baking!

2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk (fat free is fine)
1/2 cup butter
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter


Mix together sugar, cocoa, milk, and butter in pan.  Bring to a boil and boil for one minute.  Remove instantly from heat and stir in peanut butter.  Beat in vanilla and mix in oats.  Spread in a greased pan (I lined with greased waxed paper) or drop by teaspoonfuls on waxed paper, and let cool until firm.  Cut into squares of any size.

5 comments:

  1. I have that reaction a lot. I have to remind myself to take a step at a time! I always thought of it as being a procrastinating perfectionist. I always want things so perfect that I get overwhelmed at the thought of doing the task!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were at the gum wall!!!! I have a pic there, too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your kitchen is just like the one I had in my condo in pre-marriage days....oh those days !! No, I am glad I have a great hubby, and I am glad the Lord blessed you with one too !!(A great Hubby I mean !!!!!!) Love, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World's Leading Social Trading Network.

    Join millions who have already discovered better methods for investing in Ripple...

    Learn from profitable eToro traders or copy their positions automatically!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails