Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago Today

It was sunny outside on Tuesday.  Mom told us all to finish our oatmeal, and then come to the living room so she could tell us something.  We kept prodding her for information because she seemed so serious, we thought we were in trouble.

We finished our oatmeal and went into the living room, where she quietly told us that two tall buildings in New York had been hit by airplanes, and collapsed.  With people inside. 


I recall trying to imagine being inside the building, feeling it crumble.  I couldn't; I tried to imagine being on the ground, knowing my family was in there.  I couldn't.  We recorded it in our Book of Centuries.


Where were you that day?

I remember laying in bed that night listening to my radio, picturing in my mind the firefighters and iron workers climbing through the dusty, mangled metal.  I remember when they pulled some men out, and I remember waiting for them to find more.  Hoping against hope.


What is your vivid memory from that day? 

1 comment:

  1. In an eye blink it changed from an air disaster to a terror attack. At 41 I lost some of my innocence that day

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails