Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Day

Thanks for reading this post, I'm so excited to visit with you!  
After you've gleaned all the good information you need, visit our new blog platform at www.farmandhearth.com to read even more fascinating tidbits from the kitchen and the fields. 

Dear friends,

Christmas Day was wonderful!  It couldn't have been more perfect.  What a day to celebrate His birth!  What a way to bring some sparkle to the middle of a long, dark winter.

At 3:30 AM I was finishing my tasks in the kitchen, a little bit of wrapping, and washing up the last few dishes.  The fridge was full of ingredients and half-prepared dishes, ready to be assembled and served on Christmas day.


The turkey had brined all day on Christmas Eve and the brine-water was looking cheerfully ghastly as I took ol' Tom out to lay it in the fridge to dry overnight.


I had to do some fridge rearranging to get the turkey to fit!


Mr H's parents came over in the morning, and the two misters H left to pick up a package.  The first Mrs H and I stayed to prepare breakfast. 


 The menfolk soon returned with a huge, mysterious present.  I had no idea what it was.  


You can only imagine my delight when I opened it and found a giant chest freezer!!!!



 Needless to say, I was ecstatic and taken completely by surprise.  By the time Gary and his dad had put it out on the deck, I was already planning how I was going to fill it up!  

The excitement was too much for the former Mr H and he collapsed on the couch in utter Christmas exhaustion.  


He was later revived with a stimulating cup of coffee!  


The breakfast menu was simple and delicious.  
Christmas Coffee Cake, poured into the pan the night before and ready to pop into the oven
Christmas Sausage and Egg Frittata
Segmented oranges and chopped pineapple
Banana Bread
Coffee, orange juice



During the day, delicious treats floated around the house - creme wafers and jewel cookies made by my mother-in-law, red jelly candies, Clementine oranges... 

The entire day was exciting!  Candles glowing, turkey roasting, song-singing, card-playing.  Max, the dog (not that one!) settled in to the festivities with perfect comportment.  





When my family came over to join the fun, we pulled out all the stops and had a festive feast for dinner. 






Stuffed mushrooms (provided by my mother-in-law)
Crackers and cheese (made by my mom)
Cream cheese and red-pepper jelly
Roast Turkey
Honey-glazed ham (made by my mom)
Sausage and Cornbread Stuffing
Giblet Gravy
Hot Fruit Compote
Homemade sparkling cider
Frozen Pea Salad (provided by my mother-in-law)
Broccoli and Cashew Salad (from my grandma)
Scalloped potatoes (brought by my aunt)
Green salad (from my grandma)
Vanilla ice cream with hot fudge pudding cake, and glazed pumpkin cake 



The box from the freezer was enormously popular!    




And now to wish you a happy, happy New Year; would that you could know that true happiness is found only in Him and the knowledge of His grace, He who came to give us glorious, abundant life.  

Mrs H
twitter.com/_mrs_h\

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails