Saturday, April 28, 2012

All Happiness

All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.  - John Gunther

Dear early-morning riser,

One of my favorite breakfast stand-bys is toad-in-a-hole.  It comes together easily and in very little time, with minimal effort and few dishes.


When you make a tiny mess, you only have to clean a tiny mess!


I made toad-in-a-hole for my younger brother and sister when they stayed the night at my house once, and all three of us had a different hole-shape.


Iron Nate had a duck-in-a-hole, Kejmo had a man-in-a-hole, and I had a regular,
round toad-in-a-hole!  The shaped ones are a little more tricky to cut out,
and they don't always preserve their shape in the finished product ...
but they are fun nonetheless!

I added a sliced roma tomato with pepper and salt to my plate

This morning I made Mr H a simple, "normal" toad, using my old biscuit-cutter.

I did not create this recipe, neither do I know the actual origin; I just know my mom made it when I was little, and I make it now!

Toad-In-A-Hole

1 slice bread per person
1 egg per person
Butter

Grease and heat a frying pan on medium heat.  Butter one side of the bread.  Cut a hole in the middle using a small glass or a biscuit/cookie cutter; set the bread butter-side down in the hot pan, and crack the egg into the middle.  If you don't like a runny yolk, break the yolk with the flipping spatula.  Set the buttered circle butter-side down in the pan to toast.  Cook until the underside is stable, about 1 - 2 minutes, and then flip; flip the little round piece, too!  Cook until it is as finished as you desire.

Serve with the round "lid" on top, and with homemade ketchup, peach jam, butter, or syrup.


Note: If you find that your toad (egg) never stays in the hole properly, you may need to wait for your pan to get a little bit hotter before cracking the egg in.

Mrs H
twitter.com/_mrs_h

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails