Thursday, October 18, 2012

Vitamix Inaugural Use: A Long-Awaited Banana Milkshake

Thanks for reading this post, I'm so excited to visit with you!  
After you've gleaned all the good information you need, visit our new blog platform at www.farmandhearth.com to read even more fascinating tidbits from the kitchen and the fields. 

Dear ones,

When I was growing up, Mom had a Vitamix sitting on the counter which she used frequently and often to make wicked delights such as ice cream, milkshakes, soups, cornbread.  

I remember once she made some sort of purple drink which I recall I did not exactly like; but of course, I didn't complain.  I once complained about macaroni and cheese and it didn't go well for me ("This needs more cheese," I said, to which Dad said, "You need more manners."  That's the only time I remember ever complaining about food).  

However, there was a delectable, heavenly nectar which she used to blend up in the Vitamix, the memory of which has kept me alive these long dry years of Vitamixless living.  A whiff of banana will take me rushing back to the happy sunny day in which I was sipping glass of said nectar, but I haven't been able to perfectly recreate that halcyon memory. 

Until today. 


Before Mr H left, he ordered me a Vitamix - a top-of-the-line, first-class professional-grade blender, grain grinder, nut butter pureer, ice cream maker, food processor, soup maker, kitchen dandy.  Mom's original Vitamix cookbook had disappeared, goodness knows where and when, without a trace.  Dad ordered her a new machine at the same time as Mr H purchased mine, and Mom and I both ordered used copies of the antiquated cookbook from Amazon.  

There was a Race for the Cure event near our house, and I happened to be on hand when they were trying to get rid of the leftover cut fruit.  I volunteered (of course) and they were happy and relieved to offload all of the bananas and oranges at my house!  Seven cases of bananas?  I think yes! 


Having limited freezer space, I gave away all but two of the boxes.  I loaded my dehydrator with slices, and the rest were peeled and stashed in the freezer ... for milkshakes and more.


 Banana Milkshake
The original recipe, and my modification. 

Old-Fashioned Vitamix Version (scrumptious!)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
1 large banana
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
2 cups ice cubes

New-Fangled Version (wondrous!)
1 cup whole milk
1 large banana
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Sprinkle of bee pollen
2 cups ice cubes or frozen milk cubes

Put all ingredients in Vitamix, blender, or cup with immersion blender in the order listed; blend thoroughly.




Summer fresh, winter cool, 

Mrs H


tweet us @_mrs_h for chewy nuggets
Pin us at Pinterest for pretty photos and intriguing articles
Follow us on Facebook for recipes, giveaways, and brilliant flashes of perspiration!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails