Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday Menu Deployment Edition, and Pumpkin Spice Granola!

Mr H left with the Navy last week, so meals are a little different around here.

My chunky monkey is still eating strictly breastmilk, and growing like a fat little dandelion.  I've been eating lots of leftovers (prepared foods, I mean!), vegetables from our CSA and our porch garden, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, ice cream cones (you heard me right), smoothies of various shapes and sizes, raw milk and granola ... In short, irregular but still delicious, small and frequent meals - not many big dinners when it's just me eating!

The Mysterious Mrs S, a West Coast blogger and copy editor whose husband has been a-sailing with the Navy for a month now, has been posting a brief list of interesting things she prepared and ate in the past week, rather than a full menu.

I am enamored of her brilliant idea, because let me tell you - my current menu in all its detail would bore you to tears.  I have been, however, eating and preparing the occasional delicious Thing.  Those, I shall share with you!

Goodbye, summer! Goodbye, humid, sweaty walks!  Goodbye, sticking to the
couch from the heat!  Goodbye, delicate flowers in the neighbor's yard! 






Did somebody say milk?
Noms This Week

(Vegan, No-Sugar) Pumpkin Spice Granola  |  I enjoy a good breakfast granola ... if you like your granola to be soft, shorten the cooking time accordingly and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat!  I love this with milk and dried fruit.  Make a batch, and it lasts a while!

Baba Ghanoush on Sourdough Bread  |  I'm raving mad over how good this dip/spread/addictive substance is!  I made a large batch and froze small containers of it, so I can feast on it for a while without going to all the effort again.

Breakfast Smoothie  |  It's hard to imagine a week going by without at least some iteration of my favorite breakfast smoothie; currently, I use raw, whole cow's milk instead of nut milk.  I can mix it up pretty quickly while the young'un is laying down, or just make it one-handed.

Chocolate Milk  |  Mix milk with Trader Joe's Organic Midnight Moo Syrup to taste ... and float away to a blissful sugar-land.

Watermelon  |  And lots of it ... Because the farms are still pumping it out, so I'm hauling home both watermelon AND pumpkins, together!  Oh, Virginia, you irony you ...

Know another military wife?  


Mrs H
twittering @_mrs_h
Like reading about food?  Find us on Facebook!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails