Monday, November 21, 2011

Leftovers Live On: Hot Turkey Wraps

Dear recipe-searcher and leftover-user,

In eager anticipation of leftovers after this Thursday ...

I've wanted to post this recipe for a long time, and I am not sure why I haven't done it yet ... but I love this recipe, and I know it'll be a hit at your house, too.  I am ridiculously excited to share it with you!


The first year we were married, I went on the hunt for leftover turkey recipes.  This was an exciting venture for me - usually, coming from a family of ten, we had enough leftover turkey for everyone to have some sandwiches, some soup, and that was about it.  It could disappear pretty quickly!  But with just my husband and I and a huge container of cold, cooked poultry, the world opened up ... and I didn't want to just eat one thousand cold-turkey sandwiches!

While browsing around, I found some recipes online that turned out to be keepers - I don't know where I found them, and they've evolved in their own ways since then, but they are delicious - amazing - perfection.

If you have a big crowd and you want to make some leftover turkey go pretty far, this recipe will do the trick.


These Moo Shoo Turkey Wraps are a fun Asian-American fusion deviating from the typical turkey leftovers you usually see, and they are astonishingly easy to prepare.  My husband and I whacked them together one night after Thanksgiving, using a huge wok from my grandma, and ate as much as we could handle.

Moo Shoo Turkey Wraps
Obviously, there is lots of wiggle room in this recipe.  Add some toasted sesame seeds if you like; I love to serve these with homemade (or storebought) sweet plum sauce!  To really go with the Asian theme or to avoid extra gluten you could use rice wraps, like spring roll wrappers, instead of tortillas.  If you like, you could use a bagged shredded coleslaw mix instead of a cabbage.  

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon olive oil
10 ounces sliced mushrooms
4 green onions, sliced
1 teaspoon peeled, grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
16 - 20 ounces shredded fresh cabbage (one small cabbage, or less than half large cabbage)
1/3 cup water
2 cups shredded leftover cooked turkey
3 tablespoons soy-sauce
3 tablespoons (plus extra for serving) hoisin sauce
8 tortillas, warmed

In a skillet or wok, heat one tablespoon olive oil on medium-high until hot.  Add mushrooms and saute 6 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned.  Remove to a plate.
In the skillet, heat one teaspoon olive oil on medium-high.  Stir in green onions (reserve a small portion if you want to sprinkle some fresh on the wraps), ginger, crushed red pepper, and garlic.  Add shredded cabbage and cook 2 minutes or until cabbage begins to soften, stirring constantly.  Add water and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until water evaporates.  Cabbage should be tender-crisp, not mushy; stir frequently.  Stir in turkey, soy sauce, 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce, and cooked mushrooms; cook an additional 3 minutes or until turkey is hot, stirring constantly.
Spread tortillas with hoisin sauce; top with turkey filling, extra green onions if you like, roll up and enjoy!  These are very juicy.  These are very delicious.

If any of my readers are vegan and cook meat alternatives like tofurkey, I'd be interested to hear your take on this dish with that replacement!  I haven't tried it yet, myself.


I'm hungry now!

Mrs H

tweet us @_mrs_h for chewy nuggets
Pin us at Pinterest for pretty photos and intriguing articles
Follow us on Facebook for recipes, giveaways, and brilliant flashes of perspiration!


P.S. There will be another fabulous idea for leftover turkey for you on Friday!  Also, don't forget to pop your head in here if you're in the mood for soup ....

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails