Saturday, May 19, 2012

That Gift of Summer: Slicing Watermelon

Dear ravenous wolves,

I LOVE watermelon.

I spent a summer in the City of Watermelons once, and I ate so much watermelon I thought I might die of happiness.  As we sat breaking them apart on the beach, huge bees would crawl all over my arms and hands, drunk on the sticky sugary goodness ... but I couldn't stop gorging myself.

At our first visit to the Virginia Farmer's Market near our house, I espied huge seeded watermelons for sale at an organic stand.

I was taken.

Mr H doesn't really eat that much watermelon, but Mandatory and I were swimming in a sea of watermelon juice contentment for two days.

Slicing a Watermelon
Slicing a watermelon can seem intimidating, but once you know a system it's very simple!  There are many ways to do it, but this is easy and takes just a few minutes to do the whole thing.

1. Wash the watermelon with soap.  Be careful!  It will be slick.

2. Cut the watermelon in half the short way.



3. Stand the half on end, and cut it in half from top to bottom.


4. Lay the new half face-down, and cut it in half from end to end.



5. Starting from one end and working your way to the other, slice the watermelon into eating-size wedges, however thick you like.



6. If you wish, remove the rind.




Enjoy your watermelon!  Compost the rinds, or pickle the pink-white part (I've only done this once, but it does make a nice usage of what would otherwise be pig-feed!).



Mrs H
twitter.com/_mrs_h

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails